Saturday 9 March 2013

instant puddy attempt #2

so made a second scenic base insert using instant putty.
this time I wore latex gloves and did not wet my fingers and it was much better unlike greenstuff water seems to make it more sloppy not easier to handle. It was alittle awkward with gloves trying to kneed it together but having clean hands after was worth it.

I think this one turned out good..defects left are more likely flaws in the mold itself.
so if my first attempt was a 5/10 this was easily a 7/10
biggest flaw i find is it sets so fast you have to really accurately guess the volume of putty you need.
I overestimated this one and had enough left to make a 30mm base if it didn't set so fast ,but had to throw it away.
overall i would estimate i can make 10 to 12 40mm base inserts for 10dollars worth of instant putty.
the inserts themselves cost about 5 dollars each for the 40mm so overtime its a nice savings.

If I can get greenstuff for the same price/volume I'll still go with it..but if you can't get it for a good price the instant putty isn't as bad as I thought initially.




No comments:

Post a Comment